I have a house for sale – Now what?
You have a house for sale, but you are yet to prepare the house for sale? This situation may bring on a whole slew of feelings: anxiety for how to follow through the legal procedures properly, nostalgia for the days —both happy and sad— you spent at the house, excitement for what is next to come, desperation if your house has been on the market for a while, and so on. You might be overwhelmed with questions such as how much your house is really worth, have you set the price too low or too high, if you are willing to pay commission to a realtor or if you can sell it by yourself. Setting the right price and making an excellent first impression are both essential to attracting buyers.
So let’s prepare your house to entice onlookers step by step:
– First things first, you will need to move out and get your belongings out of the house, then clean it thoroughly.
– Improving the curb appeal is a must. Think back to when you first fell in love with the house, before you bought it. What caught your eye immediately? What did you like/dislike about it? Now it is time to highlight the positives and upgrade the negatives. Hang a big house number, plant flowers, mow the lawn, wash front windows, repaint the porch floor, replace the flooring, replace your old carpets with new ones.
– Make sure you keep up with cleaning and repairs on your home until it is sold.
– Price tag matters a lot. Generally speaking, many homeowners consult a lot of realtors, and pick the one who suggests the higher price. But lets be realistic. The realtor who is versed well in comparative market analysis will be the one who is going to price your home most accurately. If you choose the realtor who tells you only what you want to hear, then you might wait for a long time for your house to get sold. Make sure your realtor provides you with the facts such as the prices of similar homes nearby your home that will be your competition, and the prices of similar homes taken off the market because they stayed in the market for too long. He should be able to give you a price range for your house.
– If you are not using a real estate agent, list your home in the classified section of local newspapers, and on the Internet.